Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Be Careful, Little Tongue, What You Say



I'm the youngest of four so there was plenty of opportunity in our household for disagreements.  If I heard it once, I heard Mom say a thousand times, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."  I'm sure she got weary of the four of us at times! As I was looking her though Bible this week, I found that same theme a number of times.  Her children were grown, so this was a reminder to herself that words matter...
More people have been hurt by a careless tongue than by a sharp sword.

If I can't speak well of others then I need to remain silent.

When you speak, always remember that God is one of your hearers.

Speak and act in harmony with your prayers.

It is in the home we are treated the best and grumble the most.


This was not found in Mom's Bible, but remember the childhood saying?
Sticks and stones may break my bones
But words will never hurt me...
I have no idea who came up with it, but they were wrong in so many ways! A child who hears that can grow up into an adult who says whatever they want, whenever they want, thinking their words are harmless. But words DO hurt. Words wound. Words scar.


And finally, this quote is found in the front AND back of her Bible:

Not the greatness of our troubles but the littleness of our spirit makes us complain.

What are your words and actions saying today?

No comments:

Verse of the Day