I was out for a run this morning thinking about the events we celebrate this weekend. On Good Friday we pause to remember, thinking of the sorrow. On Resurrection Day we rejoice. This is a post I wrote 2010 about that day in between the sorrow and the joy...
If you count like I do, you've probably wondered about three days from
Friday to Sunday. In my counting, that is two days. But according to
Jewish calendars, Friday is day one, Saturday is day two, and Sunday is
day three.
So here we are on the second day. If you've read your
Bible, you know that on the third day Jesus arose. On the third day
all was right again. If you've ever seen a passion play or Easter
drama, the crucifixion scene is quite prominent, followed by a song or
some narration, no more than 5 minutes later "He's Alive!" But there
was an entire day, the second day, the sabbath. Travel with me in my
imagination as I think about what happened on the second day...
Store
fronts were buttoned up tightly. No business would take place on the
sabbath, even with Jerusalem teeming with visitors who had arrived for
the Passover. The only place they would go is the temple. Heavy
hearts, guilty minds, relieved hypocrites, all were in attendance.
What
now Caiaphas? Are you and Annas patting yourselves on the back? There
is the nasty little business of Judas hanging himself, so you can't
keep that money, but you've rid yourself of Jesus. Now you can relax.
No one will be driving out the money changers from the temple again.
Calling you a hypocrite! He should have known better.
I wonder
about the man born blind. Sitting in his house, looking on the faces of
his loved ones. He'd never seen a Roman crucifixion before, only heard
the description. The vivid details are almost too much. Why the One
who gave him back his sight?
There are soldiers dispatched to
guard the tomb. They must have laughed, thinking how anyone would be
able to steal the body. The silly Jews - always creating some kind of
drama. Was there one boasting that it was his sword that pierced Jesus'
side? Of course a surprise was coming their way on the third day, but
the second day was just another day of duty.
What was it like in
the home of Lazarus, Mary, and Martha? Lazarus spent four days in the
grave. They knew the pain of grief. Was Martha silently weeping as she
thought, "I just wanted to take care of Him and His followers, but I
should have also spent more time at His feet. I told myself I would do
so the next time He came. That chance is now gone."
What about
the young lad who gave his lunch? His five loaves and two fish were
used to feed thousands! But now... "Mother, why were you yelling 'His
blood be on us and our children?' "
What were the thoughts of the
lepers He cleansed? The woman with the issue of blood? Jairus and his
daughter? So many whom Jesus touched. Had they all been swayed by the
yelling crowd? Did anyone still believe He was the Messiah?
Where
were the disciples? Faith seemed to be missing in Jerusalem that day.
If they truly believed what Jesus taught, wouldn't they have been
anticipating his resurrection? Shouldn't they have been making plans to
be there when He arose? Only three women returned to the tomb on the
third day, but only to take spices to anoint his body.
Somewhere, Barabas was sitting in wonder. He was a free man.
I just wonder if anyone sang this song:
VERSE 1
I was guilty with nothing to say
And they were coming to take me away
But then a voice from Heaven was heard that said
"Let him go and take me instead"
CHORUS
I should have been crucified
I should have suffered and died
I should have hung on the cross in disgrace
But Jesus, my Lord, took my place
VERSE 2
Crowns of thorns, the spear deep in His side
And those pains should have been mine
Those rusty nails were meant for me
Oh Jesus took them and let me go free
CHORUS
I should have been crucified
I should have suffered and died
I should have hung on the cross in disgrace
But Jesus, my Lord, took my place
No comments:
Post a Comment