Friday, April 14, 2017

The Power of Music


As I mentioned in my review of "Long Way Gone," music played a prominent role in the story.  Cooper's father was a preacher who held tent revivals for many years.  As Cooper's talent became more evident his father did his best to guide him in how he used that gift.  He told Cooper there was healing in music, it touches people in a unique way.

I have been involved in music in one way or another the majority of my life.  I started in children's choir and have been involved in just about every type of choir or group there is.  I love music and I know how it can move me.  I've written before about crying over "Jingle Bell Rock."  The thoughts I want to share have been in my heart for quite some time.  After reading Long Way Gone, I decided today would be the day to share them. 


Church Isn't American Idol
There are a couple of minor characters in Long Way Gone.  The first chapter opens with an old man playing his guitar on a street corner.  Much later we meet his grandson, Jubal.  When Jubal is going to play in front of a crowd for the first time he is very nervous, wondering how people will respond if he messes up.  "But all those people on the TV shows always get raked over the coals by the judges..."  Cooper sets him straight, telling Jubal that music is a gift that we make to give away.  And anyone who doesn't like that can "go suck on a lemon."

It's tough playing or singing in church sometimes.  Over 30 years ago I was part of a small singing group.  The director stopped us in practice and pointed me out, telling me I was not singing my part correctly.  He went over our part again.  When the sopranos sang, I just listened, trying to hear our part in a female voice and figure out what I was doing wrong.  The director stopped us and again pointed me out, telling me I was still off (even though I hadn't actually been singing.)  I've never forgotten how he made me feel and I've tried to be careful in offering even "constructive" criticism to others.

I've been on the receiving end of criticism many times.  I'm not the greatest singer or musician in the world but I give it my best.  Words hurt and and they can make people back completely away from doing what God wants them to do for His glory. Sitting in church, judging those who are striving to lead the congregation in worship only accomplishes one thing - it takes our minds and hearts away from Who we should be worshiping.  Believe me, musicians and singers know when they've messed up.  You don't need to tell them!

Music is Powerful
Choosing songs for a service, whether it's a solo or the entire service set, is something I struggle with.  It's not that I don't have songs.  I've got hundreds of them.  But I don't take the responsibility lightly.

Music is powerful.  It can cause people to dance and shout or bring them to tears.  Hurting souls walk through our doors every service.  They may be first time visitors or long time saints, but life has brought hurt their way.  Music can bring peace and healing. We can't take that powerful gift lightly, but must prayerfully consider each song. 



Where Do Your Songs Point?
It was about a year ago when Pastor McGriffin came to the end of music practice at New Life.  He talked to us about horizontal songs and vertical songs.  Horizontal songs are about us ("I'm Gonna Dance") or to us ("Everybody Will Be Happy Over There")  There's nothing wrong with these types of songs, but they shouldn't be the only types of songs we sing.

Vertical songs point to Jesus.  The songs I love to play and sing the most are the ones that I sing directly to Him.  Sitting at my piano, with an audience of One, and singing, "Jesus, I love You, because You care," draws me to Him.  Leading a congregation in singing, "You are good and Your mercy is forever," focuses all the attention on Him and what He has done for us.

There are appropriate times for both horizontal and vertical songs.  Pastor McGriffin challenged us to keep track of the mix of songs we sang.  If we are out of balance, it definitely needs to be in the direction of more vertical songs than horizontal.  There is a reason why old hymns like Amazing Grace, which was written in the 1700s, can still touch hearts today.  They point to Jesus.

Songs that lift up Jesus have a real purpose.  Jesus said, "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me."  If we'll do the lifting, he'll do the drawing.


Keep on Singing!
If you're a musician or singer, I hope you'll be encouraged.   If you've been burned and are thinking about hanging up your microphone, don't!  Remember Who gave you the song in the first place and keep on singing!

No comments:

Verse of the Day