I'm having a bit of writer's block with my Hannah post. I'm still trying to process some of my thoughts. Since this is my Bible study and my blog, I'm giving it another week. I do want to talk about one part of the story...
Last Sunday morning Les taught a great lesson about divine healing. There is no magic formula for receiving healing. It there was, we'd never need to have faith. There is also no reason to believe that when a person is sick it is because of sin. In John chapter 19, Jesus saw a man who was blind from birth. His disciples asked, "Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?" Jesus' answer is one we can cling to, "Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him."
So back to Hannah. We don't know how long she prayed for a child. Peninnah, the second wife, is said to have "sons and daughters." Meaning she probably had as least four children, possibly more. This means Hannah's prayers went on for many years. 1 Samuel 1:6 says, "the LORD had shut up her womb." Was she less spiritual or desperate in the early years?
Here's something to consider: God's plan involved more than just Hannah and Elkanah and their desire for a child. God knew that the sons of Eli the priest were evil sons of Belial. Their sins were great. A man of God came to Eli and prophesied destruction to his family. God knew all that. God was prepared to raise up a prophet in the land, that prophet would be Samuel. But it was God's timing, not Hannah's.
I believe God heard every time that Hannah prayed for a child. He didn't turn away. But His plan was for much more than just a child. He planned for a child who would be dedicated to His kingdom, who would grow into a great man who would anoint the first two kings of Israel. Samuel was born in God's time "that the works of God should be made manifest in him."
I've heard many times that God's answer to our prayers is "yes," "no," or "wait a while." It's those "wait a while" prayers that really test our faith. God is too big for our human minds to fully understand. I just know that prayers are answered, in His time and His will. Keep praying!
No comments:
Post a Comment