I'm reading the book of James this week and I've got more than one post brewing! As far as we know, the author was the son of Mary, the half-brother of Jesus. If anyone could have had anything negative to say about the Man Christ Jesus, it would have been James. But instead, James has much to say to us.
He concludes chapter one with this verse, "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world." Chapter two picks up the theme of respecting those who are wealthy and despising the poor. Verse 9 says, "But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin..."
Verses 14-16 says, "What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?"
Since the year we spent living in Honolulu, my feelings toward the homeless and those less fortunate have changed drastically. With a homeless population in the thousands, it's not something I could easily ignore. I was also on the receiving end of a compassionate homeless woman (you can read that story here.)
I use to tell myself, "I can't give them money, they'll just spend it on drugs or alcohol." I felt justified in that. But there's no scripture for it. Jesus said, "For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me." (Matthew 25:35-36) He said it was to the least of these, no conditions are added.
I understand it's a fine line. There are people who will spend any money they can get their hands on for another drink or fix. But that is not always the case. We can't turn a blind eye to every hurting person because they might not spend wisely. What we have came from God and when we give it, we give it from God. I also know that the need is so great, that we could spend every penny we earn and not meet that need.
So what to do? I believe we must be sensitive to the Spirit. Get up in the morning reporting for duty, as Pastor White says, "Lord, I'm on evangelism today." Let it become a life style. When you see a hurting person, you pause in your day and reach out in love. I believe you will know when you need to give them more than your time.
There is a homeless man on Oahu who I see every time we are there. The first few months, I would pass him by. But something started working on me. Finally, I said, "Okay God, I'm listening!" The next time I saw him, I had a couple dollars ready. But what really made the difference was when I stopped and talked to him. He told me his name is Lenny. His skin is baked from the Hawaiian sun. I don't know how long he's been there or where he came from. Since that first visit, I always say hello and often stop to talk to him. At times I've taken him food. Sometimes I really don't have any money to give him, but he gives me a smile because I stop and look him in the eye. I acknowledge his humanity. He's not a dog or some brainless monster. He's a human being with a heart and soul and feelings. When he reaches up his hand to me, whether I put money in his or not, he needs human touch. I know he's dirty. I've seen where he sleeps at the park. But his need is no less than anyone else's.
As Apostolic Pentecostals we are known for our worship. Our ladies are often recognized by our dress. But pure religion has got to go deeper. The world needs to recognize us for our compassion as well. To the least of these.







2 comments:
Amen, may we have compassionate hearts. The Proverbs 31 woman is incredible, indeed, but notice she "reaches her hand to the poor and needy"-- this sets her apart from other women.
My husband and I do not give money to the homeless, however. Jesus said you gave Me meat, visited Me, gave Me to drink, took Me in, came to Me. We noticed money, coins, etc. were not mentioned, so while we deputized, we kept McDonald's gift certificates in the dashboard and bottled water, etc. On O'ahu, we're usually vacationing and admittedly fail to get into that "compassion" mode like we should. Thank you for the stark reminder that while there's still breath in my lungs, reaching my hand to poor and needy ones is only one of the many ways I worship God. I have SOOOO much for which to be thankful, and to whom much is given, much is required.
Great post, Kathy! Thanks again for the great teachings of God's Truth.
Hugs and happy week,
Kelley~
McDonald's gift certificates are a great idea. Giving money is definitely something I've struggled with and prayed about. I definitely feel better giving them food, and I can always give compassion. So many are rejected on an hourly basis, one smiling face can change their day.
Thanks for stopping by, Kelley!
Post a Comment