Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday Foodie

I tried two new recipes for our potluck last Sunday and they were both really good!  I Googled "Potluck side dishes" and "Potluck salads" until I found something that looked interesting.  I failed to take a picture of either item, but was able to find them on the original sites.  I made both of these, along with Tamale Pie, on Saturday and only had to bake the potatoes and Tamale Pie on Sunday morning.

Broccoli and Cranberry Salad
Original recipe here, I made a few changes to fit my taste.  I also doubled the recipe.


Ingredients:
5 cups broccoli florets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup sliced carrots
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon pieces
1 cup sunflower kernels
3/4 cup Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
Honey mustard salad dressing

Directions:

Combine all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Add dressing to salad and mix well. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Southwestern Potato Casserole from Plain Chicken

1 (32oz) bag shredded hash browns
1 can cream of chicken soup
16 oz sour cream
1 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes
1 can Rotel, drained
8 oz cheddar or Mexican blend cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine sour cream, cream of chicken soup, Rotel tomatoes, and cheese in a large bowl. Fold in the hash browns and pour into a 3-quart casserole that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 45 minutes.
I was suppose to top this with two cups of crushed tortillas chips, but totally forgot!  It still tasted good, but was more like a breakfast casserole I have made in the past than a side dish.

2 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

They both look so yummy!! Thanks for sharing!!

Frances
Notions from Nonny

Caroline (Jane) said...

I'm looking forward to trying both of these recipes. Thanks!

Verse of the Day