Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Honolulu Triathon


This past Sunday was the 10th Anniversary of the Honolulu Triathlon.  Races here start very early - the first wave went out at 5:45 a.m.  There were a variety of distances - the longest was an Olympic Tri with 1.5k swim, 40k bike ride, and 10k run.

I was only interested in the last group - the Kid's Triathlon for ages 7-10.  They went out in two waves, ages 9-10 and ages 7-8.  I think they would have all beat me in the swim part!  When I arrived some of them were warming up in the water, others were in the water, but there was more playing going on than warming up!


And at 10:30 they were off!  Unlike the other races, they started in the water and only swam to the shore.  I'm sure that makes it much easier than trying to turn around in the water and come back.


 This girl was the first out of the water...




Transition 1:  Throwing on shoes and helmets for the bike part:


Two laps...

And the run! The first girl out of the water also won the bike part, but faltered and ended up behind two boys in the run.


Here come the little ones!  Again, it was a girl who won the swim...




Transitioning...


Look at this tiny bike!


This little gal was first out of the water and continued strong throughout, no one was even close to her on the run!


This was so much fun!  The parents were cheering, but they were cheering for other kids, too.  I think I only heard one mom who seemed a little too focused on winning.  Unfortunately, she seemed to slow her son down with her constant "hurry, hurry!"  As someone who has done a few races, it was fun to be on the other side and cheer for the racers.

Have you ever raced?  Ever done a triathlon?

No comments:

Verse of the Day