In spite of illness, in spite even of the archenemy sorrow, one can
remain alive long past the usual date of disintegration if one is
unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in
big things, and happy in small ways.
~Edith Wharton
I'd have a few thoughts about old age floating around in my head lately. It all started when we got an invitation to a Christmas party. It was the "Oldies Party ~ Over 40." Over 40? Les and I both laughed at being called old while in our 40s!
Old age is 15 years older than I am.
~Oliver Wendell Holmes
I certainly don't feel old. I find so much enjoyment in my life! No, I don't do the things I did when I was in my 20s, but I've found that I enjoy getting up with the chickens, hopping on my bike and seeing how fast I can ride.
I'd like to stay healthy enough so that I'll be one of those old ladies who is still out there running.
~Jennifer Dall
But then I read an ad in the magazine from the League of American Bicyclists. It was for Senior Cycling - 50+. Oooo... that's only a little over two years away for me! I was okay with the "Senior" label, until I read "Old Folks on Spokes." There was that "old" label again!
It is a mistake to regard age as a downhill grade toward dissolution.
The reverse is true. As one grows older, one climbs with surprising
strides.
~George Sand
It's interesting that we seem to label folks either young or old. I started wondering, why do we avoid the middle age label?
The long, dull, monotonous years of middle-aged prosperity or middle-aged adversity are excellent campaigning weather for the devil.
~ C. S. Lewis
I remember when I turned 38. I thought "I am now middle aged." That's all there was to it. I didn't consider myself old, but I also knew my teenage years were far behind me!
At middle age the soul should be opening up like a rose, not closing up like a cabbage
~John Andrew Holmes
A decade later, I don't feel any older. In fact, I feel younger. That has a lot to do with how I've taken care of myself. I am definitely healthier ~ I eat better (most of the time) and exercise regularly. I also know I can't please everyone. If God is pleased with me, then I know I've done the best I can in whatever life has thrown my way. Learning that lesson has made life a lot less stressful.
Patience makes a women beautiful in middle age
~Elliot Paul
If I live 90 years, then I am definitely in my middle years. I'll let you in on a little secret ~ the idea of turning 50 in 2014 sounds fun to me! (I am not planning a party ~ especially not an "Over the Hill" type.) As long as I continue taking care of my health, both spiritual and physical, I think 50 will be a great age. When can I start wearing a red hat with my purple??
The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
~ Theodore Roosevelt
What do you think? If you're no longer under 30, what do you think of the middle aged label? What do you want to be called? Have you reached an age that you consider yourself old?
11 comments:
In my head I am 36 but really I am 43. Age is just a number my grandmother used to say. She had more energy in her 80s than I have today. YOU are miss fit and miss wonderful. Age is just your greatness meter!
The only thing I haven't liked about turning fifty so far is the way "kids", thirty and under start treating you like you're 90 and about to fall in the ground. lol Makes me wish I hadn't done that when I was thirty...which I did. One can only discover that "old" only happens to the body when they get "there". And... I guess that's a good thing; why ruin youth with wisdom? *wink*
The thing I like about being fifty is that I have put aside-like you, the idea that I need to please everyone; it's a very freeing feeling!
I like the Jennifer Dall quote the best. Thanks!
Good Post. I can't say I feel old, I know I look older than 20 or 30 but I don't feel it. When I turned 40 my eyesight began to blur and reading glasses were necessary. When I turned 50 I couldn't stay up till the rising of the sun, more like the going down of the same. LOL! I think hanging with Rachel and friends who are in their 20's keeps me young. =)
Great post, Sis. McElhaney. You are as young or old as you feel. Since the new year, I have started doing the hallelujah diet. I can't afford to do some of the supplements they recommend, but I am eating more raw foods, fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and I can feel a difference. I have lost a few pounds too, which is nice as well. With my brother-in-law recently having a heart attack, I started thinking, "Do I really want to wait until I have major health problems to start changing my diet?" Although living this kind of lifestyle takes more work, I am enjoying it. The only time I feel tempted is when I can smell the aroma of certain foods, but as long as I keep my healthy foods on hand, I'm okay. Y'all pray my strength in the Lord. LOL
Sis. Connell,
This is the key question: "Do I really want to wait until I have major health problems to start changing my diet?"
I have read everything I can about breast cancer because of my Mom. Although some diseases are genetic, many more are because of lifestyles and eating choices that are handed down through the family.
You can do it!
Cylinda,
Your grandmother sounds like mine. She was still walking 4 miles a day in her 80s. Hmmm... could that be the key to her energy? So glad to see you back in the blogosphere!
Caroline,
I remember teasing my Mom big time when she turned 40! How young that seems now ;)
Sis. Cynthia,
I've never been a night owl, no matter how young I was. I love early mornings.
OMW!!! I'm aproaching middle age!!! LOL!!! I feel very young...I think the only time I feel bad about it is when I think about the fact that I am STILL single...LOLOL!!!
Mary,
I say change it up and get rid of "old" altogether. Let's call under 40 young, under 80 middle age, over 80 awesome!
See, you're still young!
OLD has such a yucky sound to it...
I am enjoying aging, hopefully gracefully and I like to see others doing the same. It is inspiring when I see my upper 70s mother in love romping with my kids and still so happy with life.
Young at heart is the key~ you are spot on. And taking good care of yourself, it really does make a difference. You inspire me because you are going after life with vigor, regardless of age or anything else.
I feel about 16 often :). 10 years younger than my age!
But then I again I can feel older than my 26 years because time seems to go by so fast! Plus not to mention, I'm Definitely not at the where "I thought" I should be at 26 *ahem MARRIED!*.
But it's been said if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans!
By the way Sis. Kathy, you are like, 28-30 in my mind!
Lori,
You've got the right genes to age gracefully. Hard to believe that your mama is in her upper 70s.
Jen,
Your comment is just what I needed before I head out to ride! Thanks my sweet friend.
Post a Comment