I'm happy to report that our niece, Hannah, is in Bible quizzing again this year. They are studying Pentecostal Doctrine, the topics include: The Bible-The Infallible Word of God; One God-The Mighty God in Christ; Sin and Salvation; and Christian Living. Here is the first update for the year from her daddy, Lance:
Just thought I'd give everyone their first quiz update of the year.
Last weekend we had our first JR quiz tourney. 26 teams participated - with 17 in the JR division and 9 in Beginner. The amazing thing is Calvary Tabernacle had 11 of the 26 teams - 6 JR and 5 Beginner! To my knowledge that is the most teams any one church has ever fielded in any tournament of any kind. We have 18 JR quizzers and 17 Beginners. It has created a bit of a challenge to find enough coaches, practice rooms, buzzer systems, etc., but a great problem to have. Oh, and on top of that, we have 7 Senior quiz teams. Did I mention we don't have enough coaches, buzzer systems, rooms.......
We split our experienced quizzers out onto separate teams. We did this to give the other kids ample opportunity to buzz-in, since their captains could only answer 6 questions per quiz. While this reduced our teams' results, it did let us see what some of the newbies could do.
Anyway, our Beginners still finished 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and took all 5 All-Tournament team spots. Our Juniors were 3rd, 5th, and 7th, with 3 quizzers of the 7 All-Tournament team.
Hannah quizzed with a team of 2 brand new quizzers. Since Hannah chose to start the year 3 weeks later than the other Calvary kids (we both think the quiz season is too long), she only knew 60 of the 81 verses covered. This proved to be a significant handicap, especially when her first quiz had a disproportionate amount of questions outside her material. She answered 2 questions in her first quiz and 4 questions in the second quiz. Though it wasn't her best performance, I am nonetheless thrilled with her attitude and accomplishment of learning 70 verses of Pentecostal Doctrine word perfect with references so far this year.
We have another tournament in 3 weeks, and Hannah will be joining another experienced quizzer on a team. I suspect this will be more familiar and comfortable for her and likely result in her answering more questions.
the Proud Dad
I'm so thrilled to read of this many children studying the Word of God!
1 comment:
Hi Sis. Mc! I love the analogies you made here. As I was reading, this verse came to my mind.
Proverbs 16:11 A just weight and balance are the LORD'S: all the weights of the bag are his work.
I couldn't remember exactly where this verse was, but as I was looking for it, I found this verse also.
Deuteronomy 25:15 But thou shalt have a perfect and just weight, a perfect and just measure shalt thou have: that thy days may be lengthened in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Spiritually speaking, I want to have just the right weight in the Lord's eyes. I'd like to be the right weight physically too. Both of them take work and constant maintenance, but we will feel so much better when we are where we need to be. Thanks for this post.
Love,
Sis. C.
Post a Comment