Friday, May 6, 2011

Inspiration, Take 2

It seems that each new Runner's World magazine I receive brings new inspiration. I found two women in this month's edition that I want to introduce to you.

Kathleen Sebelius, 63, is Health and Human Services Secretary in Washington, D.C. She is also the former governor of Kansas. She has been running for 30 years, and currently runs five days a week. Here are a few quotes from her:


  • "I've got guys on the security detail that run with me. Over the course of a year and a half, some of them have had to stop running because of various injuries. I keep teasing them because I'm much older and I'm still running."
  • "Running is one of the most natural forms of exercise for kids. They start out running around, and then it becomes a great way to promote a regular routine."
  • "As you get older, you don't need to be fast, you just need to keep running."
And now, please meet Gladys Burrill.


Gladys completed December's Honolulu Marathon in 9 hours, 53 minutes, 16 seconds and set a Guinness World Record for the oldest woman to complete the distance. She is 92!!!! She ran her first marathon at age 86, this was her fifth. That means I've got another 39 years before I need to run my first marathon...

And I guess I can't say "Now that I'm 47, I'll need to slow down..."


P.S. May is Physical Fitness and Sports Month. It's already the 6th - what have you done to move more?

3 comments:

Mary Frances said...

OMW!!! Are those your sneakers?!?! I want cute sneakers like that!!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

No, my sneakers are purple and white. Not quite as cute, but with my size 5 foot finding cute shoes is a lifelong adventure!

Mary Frances said...

LOL!!! Welll...with MY SIZE 12 foot, finding cute shoes is ALSO and adventure!!! HAHAHA!!! I do want to get some cute walking sneakers!!!

Verse of the Day