You've probably noticed I've been talking about Santa Barbara quite a bit lately. Les is working there now. It's 75 miles one way, but his boss is kindly paying for him to spend the night in a hotel whenever he wishes. He really likes the job and we're thankful for that! Les can also work from home part of the time, but he needs to be in the office most days to get to know everyone and how the company works.
I've tagged along when my schedule has allowed. We enjoy the drive together - it doesn't seem long when the company is so good! We get to see the ocean for about 30 miles of the drive and that makes me very happy.
I enjoy being in Santa Barbara. The shops are interesting. There are cool cafes on every other corner. And I can always find a bench to read or people watch! Oh the people! They are so fascinating. Every type - from business people to vacationing families to college students to homeless people.
What you also see is a lot of bicycles! They are every where. Every type from fancy carbon fiber to mountain bikes to beach cruisers. Just as there are a variety of bikes, there are just as many types of riders. We were walking down State Street on Thursday night and I said, "Something's wrong with that guy's helmet." Les said, "I think it's on backwards!" And sure enough, it was!
Last Friday, I spent about 10 minutes sitting on a bench on State Street, iPhone in hand. Here are some of the riders I saw:
Fully kitted out in matching spandex, a "serious" cyclist with a helmet and clip in shoes...
He was behind this fellow in jeans and baseball cap!
Wearing a backpack, was she a college student between classes or a tourist?
It's not uncommon to see restaurant workers in their uniforms on their way to work...
I think this is the only one who even looked my way as I was snapping pictures!
A mix between casual (jeans) and serious (helmet)...
Checking his cell phone...
You can't see it, but there is a basket on the front of this one. I've seen baskets with all kinds of stuff in them!
This was one of my favorites! This lady was just smiling away as she pedaled up State Street in her high heeled sandals!!
I then made my way down to the beach and watched the riders on the bike path:
It's more fun when we all ride together...
Flip flops and a straw hat? Sure, why not!
If you're ever in Santa Barbara without a bike, don't worry! You can rent one of many varieties...
3 comments:
You make me want to go ride a bike!!!
Well you should! Of course riding in SB would be even better...
I love all those bikes! And people watching is ALWAYS fun... ;)
Post a Comment