Thursday, December 2, 2010

New Weight Watchers Program - PointsPlus


You may have heard about a new Weight Watchers program. My leader has been talking about it for weeks and it was finally rolled out this week. My meeting was Tuesday and I'm still trying to grasp it all - it is definitely a NEW plan!

If you have never followed WW, this post won't make much sense - sorry! If you've ever done the "points" system, you'll get it. Here are some things I know:
  • The way points are calculated is completely different. On the old plan, you calculated based on calories, fat and fiber. The new plan calculates based on protein, carbohydrates, fat, and fiber - calories are not part of the equation at all!
  • Your daily points (now called PointsPlus) will go up. Mine went from 20 to 29.
  • Your weekly allowance points go from 35 to 49.
  • Many foods will also go up. The most significant was high fiber bread, bagels, etc. Orowheat double fiber English muffin - 1 point on the old plan is now 3 points.
  • One bonus - all fruits are now 0, including bananas!
  • Not pictured above is the most important piece - the new WW calculator! The old sliders will not work.
  • You cannot combine the two plans. In recent years, the plan has changed but not so much that you had to forget everything you'd ever learned!

It may take me a few weeks - but I'll keep you posted. Maybe I'll even lose a couple pounds!

4 comments:

Caroline (Jane) said...

So what's their point? Is it another attempt to get people to eat less carbs?

Kathy McElhaney said...

Caroline,
According to the latest "scientific research" our bodies process carbs and fat more easily than protein and fiber. Eating more carbs means having excess calories that your bodies does not burn off, turning it into fat.

Caroline (Jane) said...

OK, I get it. I'm reading a book right now about that very concept, but I'm having a had time digesting it because I do love my carbs!

Thanks for the info!

Kathy McElhaney said...

Yeah, it's a little tough trading my formerly low points breads out! I think I've done okay so far with the additional 9 points a day.

Verse of the Day