Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Brrrr...

This was me this morning...


No, I'm not going out to rob my local convenience store. I was just coming back from a 10 mile run and this was the temperature when I returned:



Brrr!! That's about as cold as it ever gets around here. To my Southern California Peeps who say 55 is "freezing" - trust me, THIS is freezing! But I layered on an extra layer, added my wool socks and heavy jacket and headed out anyway. After about 2 miles I was sweating and had to peel my gloves off!

It was a glorious run! The air was clean and cold. We got over an inch of rain yesterday, but not a cloud in sight today. A few hearty souls joined me - a neighbor couple who walk their dog (the dog wore a coat today), a single cyclist, and one other runner. One other runner wearing SHORTS!!! Maybe he's from Minnesota or something, but I shivered for him when our paths crossed!!

With today's miles I ran into new territory... I have now broken last year's record of 2,422.2 miles. Today, December 8th, I am at 2,422.4 miles!! I'm feeling that 2,600 miles getting closer and actually in sight. Here are my miles for the past few years since I got back in to running:
2005 - 751.9 This is the year I rejoined Weight Watchers at the end of October. I think most of these miles occurred in the last quarter of the year.

2006 - 1,865.3 I set a goal of 1,500 miles for this year and was amazed when I passed it. This is also the year I ran my first half marathon.

2007 - 2,415 My goal for 2007 was 2,000 miles. Another great year.

2008 - 2,422.2 My goal for last year was 2,600 and I was on pace until November... when Les spent 8 days in the hospital and my running came to a complete stop. Then we spent a week in Tennessee and I ran once. I couldn't make up the difference in December and just settled for breaking 2007.
With a little over 3 weeks left in 2009, barring a snow storm, I'm feeling pretty confident that my goal is reachable and I'm sprinting to the finish!


P.S. Les just sent me an email to check out the weather in Wahpeton, North Dakota (where he lived as a boy). It is currently 1.9 with a low so far of -7 and a high of 2. That started my shivers again!!

6 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

I'm freezing just looking at you. We are in San Francisco for doctors and shopping - and boy, it is cold here too. We may have a White Christmas, you think?

Kathy McElhaney said...

I was actually pretty warm in the picture - the sun was up and shining.

The Grapevine had a dusting of snow. Les and I are going to Indiana for Christmas, so our chances for a White Christmas are even higher!

Cyndi Kaye said...

Brrrr......Kari told me it was 15 below zero the other day at her house. Rachel, Rosie and I will definitely have a white Christmas this year. As I said before...Brrrr I'm getting excited though to be able to spend time with my sister. =)

Kathy McElhaney said...

You all need to go walking every night before you leave so you'll be use to it!!! LOL!!

Girly Muse said...

I am SO impressed.

Kathy McElhaney said...

There was a woman out running today in shorts... of course it was 38, but it really didn't feel like a heat wave.

Verse of the Day