They loved each other and weren't afraid to show it. I grew up in a home with affectionate parents. Hugging, hand holding, kissing, all these were common sights - whether we kids wanted to see it or not!
They did not always agree, but they didn't fight in front of us kids. Anytime two people marry, there will be disagreements, but how those disagreements are handled makes all the difference. I never heard my parents yell at each other. Dad once said, "Marriage is a lot of work" - and they kept working at it.
They did the best they could for all four of their children. We weren't wealthy, but we always had enough. I never went to bed hungry - even if Mom fixed something I didn't like, she would fix something else to make sure I ate something. I always had a roof over my head, clean clothes on my back, and shoes on my feet.
Mom stayed home with us kids so the majority of the discipline fell on her shoulders. Dad never tried to change whatever punishment was handed out. Whether they agreed or not, they supported each other in those decisions. None of us kids have spent time in jail, so I guess it worked!
They took time for each other. I remember Grandma Luella (Mom's mom) staying with us on more than one occasion when we were young, so Mom and Dad could go away for their anniversary.
Dad was completely in tune with Mom during her last months. I was in their home the night before she passed away. Mom was in bed in their bedroom. More times than I can remember, Dad would jump up, go down the hall, and back to their room. HE heard Mom calling him, while Kim and I didn't hear a thing. His care for her was amazing until her last breath.
Their love and devotion was an example to me that I strive for in my own marriage.
There aren't many pictures in this slide show. Mom and Dad were too busy taking pictures of us kids to have pictures taken of them!



3 comments:
Kathy,
What a beautiful tribute you have created! It brought tears to my eyes and inspiration to my soul. I love your parents. And once again, I found I couldn't resist saying something about it. What an awesome example of marriage they've blazed for the rest of us to follow. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us!
Love and miss you!
Heather
Heather,
Thanks for stopping by! My life has truly been blessed.
Love you, too! I'll be in Fresno this weekend and won't see either of my friends whose last name use to be Kimbley!
What words could I add that Heather hasn't already said? How touching and beautiful your tribute.
Post a Comment