Friday, July 16, 2021

Friday Foodie

I have two new recipes to share today.  The first one started on the Fourth of July.  Les grilled Filet Mignon and I made corn on the cob and mashed potatoes.  (Side note:  I make my corn on the cob in the air fryer and it is amazing!  400 degrees for about 10 minutes, flip once or twice.)  Anyway, while we were eating, Les asked if my Mom ever made potato pancakes out of leftover mashed potatoes.  I clearly remember her making them and having them for breakfast.  As a kid I thought that was so weird, so I never tried them.  That changed last week...
 
Mashed Potato Pancakes
 

Ingredients:
2 cups mashed potatoes
1 egg
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
 
Preheat griddle to high heat.  My griddle is old, so you may need to turn yours down.  These can also be made in a skillet, but you'll only be able to do about half the recipe at a time.
Mix ingredients well.
Spray griddle with cooking spray.
Spoon onto hot griddle and cook 5-6 minutes.  Flip and continue cooking until done, approximately 12-15 minutes.  As I said, my griddle is old, so it cooks slowly.  You really want these to cook a while or the middle will be cold, so if the outside is browning quickly, just turn the heat down.
 
"pre-flip"

These were so good!  Just a little crunch and very flavorful.  Les put butter on his last week.  I made them again this week with roast and we both put gravy on them.  And now I totally understand why my Mom ate them for breakfast - they would go great with an old fashion country breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits and gravy.  A great substitute for hash browns or hash brown casserole.

Now on to recipe number two:
 
Last week I received an email from Chick-Fil-A advertising their peach milkshake.  It sounded so amazing and I was very tempted.  Fortunately, I had also bought some fresh peaches so I decided to make my own.
 

Peach Shake

Ingredients:
3 cups Breyers Carb Smart Vanilla frozen dairy dessert (this only has 6 grams of sugar per cup)
4 peaches, peeled and chopped up

Blend ingredients until smooth.
Pour in glasses and freeze until thickened.
Enjoy!

Makes 2 servings.  11 WW green points per serving.  In comparison, Chick-Fil-A's version is 31 points!  It was less than half the calories with approximately 20 grams of sugar versus 100 in the CFA version, with all the wonderful peach flavor you need.

No comments:

Verse of the Day