I have written about my Mom's Bible repeatedly on this blog. My third post, posted 12 years ago last week, was called "Mom's Bible." I wrote this about her Bible, "She received this particular Bible for her 47th birthday, January 1,
1987, and it was the final Bible she carried. This contains her
thoughts during an eight year battle with cancer and the loss of her
youngest son, Rod. While that was obviously the most difficult time in
her life, the notes and thoughts are constantly positive and uplifting."
Today, I'm writing about MY Bible. I received this particular Bible for my 28th birthday, April 27, 1992. TWENTY EIGHT!! Les and I had been married for less than a year. I have now carried this Bible for 28 years - half my life!
At least a decade ago, I bought a case for it because the cover was falling apart. Charles Spurgeon said, "A Bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t." If that is true, then my life is in great shape!
There are ripped pages and the binding is coming unglued...
So many pages are marked, verse after verse underlined...
Scribble notes from messages and Sunday school lessons...
I've known for a while that the time had come to replace it, but I didn't want to! Of course, I couldn't go to a local bookstore (Christian or otherwise) to look at what was available. So I turned to Amazon. After more than an hour of searching online, I finally pulled the trigger on Sunday and this beauty arrived yesterday. It was only $22.53! The picture doesn't do the color justice - it's a really pretty purple.
It's the same size as my old Bible, but with a much larger print. (Side note: wearing reading glasses with a mask is quite annoying!) I've stuck with the King James Version, because even though the language is sometimes a little odd, it's familiar and any verse I have ever memorized is from the KJV.
I also ordered a pack of colored pens. My plan is to spend the next few weeks or months, however long it takes, to get my new Bible fully broken in! The different colors aren't for any particular theme, I'll just switch off if the theme on a page changes.
Other books were given for our information.
The Bible was given for our transformation.
~ Mom's Bible









No comments:
Post a Comment