I have had a really tough time getting this post written. My thoughts have been all over the place! I've finally figured out what I want to say and hopefully it will give you something to think about.
Over the course of the past two weeks I have read the phrase "fear not" eight different times in my daily Bible reading - seven times in the first 12 chapters of Luke "fear not" is found. Zacharias is the first that I read and I thought he was a good one to study as I am reading the Prayer Life.
Luke 1:13 says, "But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John." There is so much to study about Zacharias, but I just want to focus on "thy prayer is heard."
What was that prayer?
Many commentaries agree that is was more than one prayer that had been heard. First, the prayer for a son, since he and Elizabeth were childless. The second prayer was for the deliverance of Israel by the coming of the Messiah.
John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible says, "which he had many years ago put up for a son; for it cannot be thought that he had been now praying for one, being in such an advanced age, and having for years past given up all hopes of one, and was even unbelieving, when he was told by the angel he should have one: prayer is sometimes immediately heard, and answered; and sometimes an answer is deferred a long time, to try the faith and patience of the saints, and to discover the more the wisdom, power, and goodness of God: or this may have regard to his present prayer, one branch of which might concern the coming of the Messiah, which was now expecting, and therefore is told, that his prayer was heard; since the angel that appeared to him, brought him the news of the conception and birth of his forerunner."
Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible says, "They are all heard - thou shalt have a son, and Israel shall be saved. If fervent faithful prayers be not immediately answered, they should not be considered as lost; all such are heard by the Lord, are registered in heaven, and shall be answered in the most effectual way, and in the best time. Answers to prayer are to be received by faith; but faith should not only accompany prayer while offered on earth, but follow it all its way to the throne of grace, and stay with it before the throne till dismissed with its answer to the waiting soul."
The Answer to Zacharias' Prayer
This is the part
that I've been dwelling on for the past several days. Zacharias had
prayed for a son. I don't believe he prayed for a son who would be the
forerunner of the Messiah. His prayer was simple, but God's answer was great.
When
John was taken as a baby to be circumcised and given the name of John,
Zacharias was able to speak once again. Luke chapter 1 tells us he was
filled with the Holy Ghost and prophesied. Luke 1:68-79 gives that
prophecy. Zacharias was given a glimpse of what God had in store for his child's life.
This son, known as John the Baptist, was more than Zacharias and Elizabeth could have imagined. John had a mighty ministry. Matthew 3:5-6 says, "Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins." But he knew who he was, Matthew 3:11 says, "I indeed baptize you with
water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I,
whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy
Ghost, and with fire." John 3:29-30 says, "He that hath the bride
is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and
heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this
my joy therefore is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease."
He was the voice of one crying in the wilderness. John 1:6-8 says, "There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light." Verse 6 of that same chapter says, "And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!"
God Answers Prayer
My thoughts finally came together about this topic as I was re-reading a post about Rod this morning. During the final months of his life, Les and I prayed earnestly for Rod. We prayed that God would heal Rod from the disease that was destroying his body. About six weeks before Rod died, Les and I went on an extended fast. We believed that God was going to heal. If an angel had appeared to me and said, "Fear not, your prayers have been heard," I would have believe it 100% and I would have expected a physical healing to take place.
After Rod died I could have questioned if God had heard my prayer. But God gave me peace and assurance that He had heard it, but chose to answer in a different way. My finite thinking could only see Rod's mortal body. God could see Rod's soul. The time spent in prayer and fasting wasn't wasted. God heard and saw it all. But God chose to deliver Rod from the chains of this life. Rod was healed but he was also saved from any more sorrow on this earth. My prayers were heard indeed.
Fear Not to Pray!
My conclusion regarding Zacharias, and in my own life, is we must pray without fear. Ask, believing. Jesus said in Matthew 7:7-8, "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."
Fear not, my friend, your prayer is heard.
No comments:
Post a Comment