Monday, May 20, 2019

2019 International Picnic


We had our annual Missions Conference at Victory Tabernacle this past weekend.  Elder Tommy Johnson from Colorado was our guest speaker.  There are a lot of ministers that I enjoy hearing and Bro. Johnson is one of my favorites. Along with being a great preacher, he also plays the guitar and is one of those people everyone enjoys being around.


Sandwiched between service on Friday night and two services on Sunday we had our International Picnic.  This is a great time to sample foods from many lands and enjoy fellowship with our church family.  Les requested Irish food this year.  I made Bangers and Mash for my main dish and Irish Apple Cake with Custard Sauce for dessert.  I'll share my recipes on Friday.


My morning started early, really early.  Les and I were up at 4:45 and out the door around 5:30.  We hopped on our bikes and rode together for about 6 miles.  At that point, I turned around and headed towards home ~ I took the long way and ended up with about 20 miles.  Les continued on to Santa Clarita where he collected six other riders.  This is the largest group to take him up on his annual, "let's ride to the picnic" appeal!  His total mileage was about 60, with 28 miles of that as the leader of the "Magnificent Seven."


Many years at the picnic we have a costume contest.  This year they changed it up and made it a crazy hat contest.  There were some really cute and creative hats.  With my Italian heritage, I couldn't come up with an Italian type hat so I got a Venetian mask from Amazon.  I found a leprechaun's hat for Les.  I also got these cute tops with maps of Italy and Ireland on them.  My top ended up being a great conversation piece since one of our guests was from Italy!  It was a fun connection to make.


There were a lot of games and three pinatas for the children.  Les even got in a game of basketball.  I believe it was the over 30 gang who was called "old."  30 is not old in my book at all!  But age didn't stop them - they taught those youngsters a lesson by winning!

We had perfect weather - it rained last Thursday and again yesterday, but Saturday was partly cloudy and not too hot.  I didn't take a lot of pictures because I was just enjoying sitting and chatting!  That's what I call a winning picnic.

No comments:

Verse of the Day