As I've been reading and pondering the story of the Syrophenician woman, I've taken a look at Jesus' response. It seemed He was unusually unkind to this woman. First He ignored her, then insulted her. Even after she worshiped Him, He didn't grant her request. It's a story that we can learn a lot from. I don't have all the answers but here are some things I DO know about prayer:
1. God is Sovereign
He sees the whole picture. He knows that answering your prayer in the way YOU want, may not be the best for you. The Apostle Paul writes about a thorn in his flesh in 2 Corinthians 12:7-9. Paul prayed and God said "No." Along with that no came a promise, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."
2. God is Able
Les is a living, walking, breathing, cycling example of God's healing power. A little boy with Muscular Dystrophy who was losing the use of his legs, was healed one Sunday morning.
3. Your Sincerity May Not Change the Outcome
No one has ever prayed more earnestly than Les and I did when Rod was near the end of this life. We sought God for healing, we fasted for seven days, we prayed and cried. But God, because He is sovereign, still allowed Rod to die. Was there something greater behind the scenes at work? I absolutely believe there was.
4. God is NOT a Vending Machine
We don't get to put in our 2 cents worth of prayer and expect God to answer according to our will.
As I said, I don't have all the answers. But I do know that if you never prayer, you will never see a single prayer get answered. Prayers absolutely get heard and they get answered according to the will of the One Who hears them.
No comments:
Post a Comment