This is the one Sunday I dread more than any each year! Daylight saving time begins at 2 a.m. tomorrow. This is the 100th anniversary of the tradition and I found some interesting tidbits:
In 1895, George Hudson, an entomologist from New Zealand, came up with the modern concept of daylight saving time. He proposed a two-hour time shift so he’d have more after-work hours of sunshine to go bug hunting in the summer.
In 1916, two years into World War I, the German government started brainstorming ways to save energy. Soon, England and almost every other country that fought in World War I followed suit. So did the United States: On March 9, 1918, Congress enacted its first daylight saving law—and it was a two-fer: In addition to saving daylight, the Standard Time Act defined time zones in the U.S.
This article "Daylight saving time: Spring ahead? Not this year, not this guy," takes a funny look at the whole idea. He says, "Daylight saving time might have made sense a century ago, when the nation was on a war footing. Back then, somebody in the government thought it would be an awfully good idea to give everybody jet leg … even though jets had not even been invented yet. Farmers especially hate daylight saving time, because if you think jetlagged people are trouble, try milking a jetlagged cow."
Les and I face our own set of challenges since Hawaii does not spring forward. This puts Hawaii three hours behind California for eight months of the years and only two hours behind for the other four months.
Do your Sunday School teacher a favor - be on time tomorrow!






No comments:
Post a Comment