Monday, July 18, 2016

Disembarkation Day, a Crazy Shuttle Driver, and a Little More "Rome-ing" (Day 13 - Disembarkation Day and Rome)

Our cruise came to an end on Wednesday, June 1st.  Can you believe I am still blogging about it?!  It's been a lot of fun to remember so many great times. Our luggage was set outside the room the night before.  We didn't have to be careful with our carry-on bags since we were not flying home until the next day so that made things a little easier.


We went to the 11th deck for one more breakfast.  There were fresh donuts with all kinds of toppings!  Please don't judge me by the number of donuts on my plate...


We snapped a few shots of the inside of the ship and then we were off...




We were off the ship by 7:15.  I had booked another shared van through Expedia.  We were suppose to leave at 8:00, but didn't leave until 8:30.  I blogged about our experience getting to the cruise ship on June 17th, but this experience was much worse!  This driver was so scary!  He was all over the road.  It seemed like he preferred to center his tires on the striped lines instead of staying between them.  I had booked a transfer from the ship to hotels in Rome.  After about an hour I noticed our driver take an exit to Fiumcino Airport.  He dropped a couple off at a hotel near the airport, which was about 20 miles out of the way.  Instead of getting back on the motorway, our driver took crazy back roads into Rome.  This ended up adding about 45 minutes to our trip.  They say "all roads lead to Rome" but we would have preferred a more direct one!  Everyone in the shuttle was pretty upset with his driving and the extra detour.  When we got out of the van, as we were getting our luggage, the driver said, "Tip for the driver."  This was the only thing he said the entire trip!  I think I had about 30 cents in Euro coins, and that was more than he deserved.  Lesson learned:  do not book a shared van through Expedia.  Ever.


Nearly three hours after getting off the ship, we were finally free.  We had to work really hard to shake off such a negative experience.  But stepping back into Sweetly Home Roma helped!  The sweet Martina was there waiting for us.  We dropped off our luggage and headed back out for one more day in Rome.  St. Peter's Square was very crowded.  We took very few pictures, but after about an hour we did find pizza one more time!


Les ordered a calzone...


Our next stop was gelato.  We were looking for a store that Les was very interested in - Lazzaretti Cycling.  On our way, we walked by the U.S. Embassy.  When I pulled out my phone to take a picture, I was quickly stopped.  I have no idea why, but Google provided what I was unable to obtain...


Lazzaretti Cycling was founded in 1916.  Les enjoyed looking at their bikes and he came home with a new cycling jersey (that I did not take a picture of!)  We walked over 7 miles that day and took about one picture per mile.  Sometimes you have to put the camera down and just enjoy the journey.  It appears that all we did was eat during our last two days of the trip because I only have pictures of food.


Dinner that night found us back at La Pillotta de Mario - the same place where we had our first dinner in Rome!  Mario was there and just as kind as the first time.  This time Les had lasagna and I had fettuccine Alfredo.  They were both incredible!  We finished the evening with lemon/vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Verse of the Day