Monday, May 5, 2014
Change Your Clothes
I did a little shopping while we were in Hawaii last month. I got a cute little dress from Ross. It wasn't a steal, but it was a good deal. The only problem was it was too short. It fell just below my knee, but when I walked my knees were exposed. I knew I could fix it with a little fabric.
After we got home, I was scrounging around in my closet and saw this old scarf...
"Hey! This might be cute attached to my new dress," I said to myself. And it was... except it wasn't nearly enough fabric. But it was enough to give me an idea...
Saturday morning I headed to my local Jo-Ann Fabric store. My dress was 88" at the hem - yes, it's very full! I found fabric that was 45" and knew it was going to be a challenge, but for $3.50 for a half a yard, I thought it was worth a try. I had the lady at Joann's cut the fabric in 2 pieces of 1/4 yard each. After a quick pre-wash, I ironed the two pieces and pinned them together. I made a 1/8" seam. I then folded the piece in half (so I wouldn't have to hem it!) Pin by pin, I added the fabric to the bottom of my dress... shew! It reached!
My original plan was to attach it by hand. I wasn't sure my sewing machine (with my limited skills) would handle the silkier fabric. After looking a little closer, I saw that my stitching would fall right on the black stripe. I decided to at least try using my machine. Of course my pins were all on the wrong side!
After a few inches, I felt confident enough to switch all my pins and continue. And here it is! I changed my clothes!
Thanks to the talented Kelley Dibble on Kelley Highway for inspiring me to change my clothes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I was cheering you on BIG time all through your post... then burst into a grin when I read my name! LOL! I LOVE how everything turned out perfectly for you in your gorgeous dress. Looks like it will travel splendidly, too! No one would guess it wasn't sold exactly like that at Ross!
Happy week and a hug,
Ima Sewing Machine
Great Job!!!
Cute story - Last night during our "Missions March" (missions offering on the first Sunday of the month) I saw one of our young ladies in a dress that looked just like mine. It wasn't identical, but we both decided we have great taste ;)
Very cute!
Adorable! Love it :)
Post a Comment