Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Chapter or Two

I read the story of Lazarus' death and resurrection yesterday morning as found in John chapter 11.  I was reminded again of the other side of Martha.  She was a woman of faith.

We rejoice when we hear Matthew 16:16, "And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."  Whew!  That Simon Peter, what a great revelation he had!  Martha used that very same phrase in John 11:27, "Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world."  These words are spoken in the New Testament by Peter, demons as they were being cast out, and Martha.  Give the girl the keys to the kingdom!

I know I blogged about Martha just a little over a month ago, but as I read the story again I felt a little sad for the reputation she has.  We only read about her in three chapters in the Bible, such a small piece of her life...

What if we were only known by a chapter or two of our lives?  The days we've been unkind and impatient would lead people to believe we were always that way.  What if the days we laughed and gave joyfully of our time were forgotten?  How many times did Martha serve Jesus in her home with joy, but we only read of the time she complained?  He wouldn't have kept coming back if He felt unwelcome.

At Mom's funeral, Elder Morton told several stories.  But the phrase he used that best described her was, "She was a saint, not an angel."  At the end of the day, that's what we all need to strive for.  There might be chapters that we'd like to forget or erase, but we can strive to have many more "saintly" chapters than not.

2 comments:

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

Excellent light shed upon Martha, a woman of faith. You will just never know the encouragement you were today!

I was that bossy Martha, as many millions of women could also admit about themselves. What people might remember me for... Is that how God recorded of me in His Lamb's Book of Life? I had the power-- in Christ!-- to change and thank God I did!

I am reminded of Job's Mrs., too. She is known for her wretched advice, but the Bible doesn't say that Job's next ten children were NOT born of the same woman who bore his FIRST ten, so I feel safe to assume that this same hasty-mouthed mama bore the last ten of Job's kids. Like "Martha, Martha," Mrs. Job was eventually an instrument of blessing. I'm so glad Job didn't get rid of her because of her poor choice of words.

I'm so thankful for biblical models that give me great hope of personally being an instrument of faith for future generations.

Great post, Kathy! Hugs and happy week,
Kelley~

Kathy McElhaney said...

Thanks, Kelley!

I had a hard time adequately writing everything I've been feeling about Martha lately. Someday I'll have a chat with her on the streets of gold and learn the rest of her story!

I've also thought that about Mrs. Job. So glad there's hope for all of us to change.

Verse of the Day